The Collection Database Manager principally works in partnership with The Studio Museum in Harlem’s collection management team to establish, monitor, and provide best practice data management for the Museum’s collections and archive databases (TMS, NetX). This position is central to supporting the ongoing maintenance and documentation of the permanent collection, the management of exhibition information, and the archiving of educational and programmatic resources in service to the Museum’s mission. The Collection Database Manager will design and implement reports to sustain museum activities related to acquisitions, loans, exhibition management, object histories, rights and reproduction permissions, and as needed, the Museum’s general program activity. This role will also provide statistical information around the Museum’s work and assist with establishing best practices necessary for data and image resource management for the museum.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the maintenance of user guides for permanent collections and digital assets databases
- Provide regular training and design workflows for TMS and NetX users
- Audit existing data and supervise data clean-up for TMS and NetX databases to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Manage database usage and permissions
- Build reports to facilitate the use and tracking of collection works and collection information
- Improve tagging of information for common searches and metrics collection
- Develop under-utilized fields in TMS to support exhibitions and loans activity, rights and reproduction management, as well as improved object and program documentation through Flex Fields, etc.
- Manage ongoing TMS and NetX information sync and ensure databases are communicating properly
- Organize and audit documentation for assets on the NetX platform
- Collaborate with the Digital Communications Manager and website development contractor to facilitate the use of information from collection databases for accuracy and ensure effective integration with website
- Support metadata strategy, workflows, and functionality
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Five to seven years' experience in institutional database management
- Experience with TMS, NetX, SQL and Crystal Reports
- IMLS degree
- Interest in database management and archives
- Interest in history, particularly African-American History and or mid-century to contemporary art history
- Commitment to the institutional mission and values
- Demonstrable interest in furthering the scholarship around artists supported by our mission
Competencies (Key Behaviors & Essential Abilities):
- Commitment (Core Value), to the mission and values of The Studio Museum in Harlem
- Collaborative (Core Value), works well with others at all levels of the organization as well as with key external stakeholders (if applicable to the role)
- Initiative (Core Value), takes self-directed, appropriate action to influence outcomes and/or drive progress and positive change
- Creative thinker and problem solver
Salary Range: $65,000-$85,000
Salary is commensurate with experience within the guidelines of a small not-for-profit. A competitive benefits package is provided, including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, a retirement account, and substantial vacation time.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include "Collection Database Manager" in the subject line. No phone calls or faxes.
Please note that while careful consideration will be given to each submission, the Museum will only be able to contact those applicants whose knowledge, skills, and work experience best fit the requirements of the position.